Monday, November 12, 2018

Smart Espresso Machine: Does It Exist?

Image result for bird rock coffee cupI love me a great cup of coffee; a gourmet one at that. More specifically, a delicious 12 oz latte from Bird Rock Coffee Roasters every morning would be ideal. What's not ideal is having to drive out of my way and pay $4.50 a cup every morning to get a delicious pick me up. I may not be able to make finely grind, compress and extract my caffeine, and mix it with steamed whole milk while decorating a beautiful swan as it flows to the brim of my cup, but I should be able to do something relatively close, right? It's nearly 2019 and there has been so many innovative home technologies that allows you to bring the finer things in life into your own home that there has got to be something out there by now.

So, I started my search. Just like everyone else on this planet who doesn't live under a rock, I "googled" it starting with some keywords:
"SMART ESPRESSO MACHINE."
I knew I needed an espresso machine to be able to brew a proper cup of espresso, which is essential to making a latte, but I have no knowledge other than that to make one, so, the machine had to be smart and easy to use. My eyes instantly track to the first result with an image... it looked fancy: Nespresso Expert Original Espresso Machine ($285).
The first question that comes to mind is, "HOLY #$&% that's one expensive machine!" followed by, "but what can it do?" Here are the specifics:
  • Versatility: Nespresso expert offers 4 different single serve Coffee or Espresso cup sizes including Ristretto (.85 oz.), Espresso (1.35 oz.), Lungo (3.7 oz.) and for the first time Americano (.84 oz. Coffee and 4.2 oz. Hot water).
  • Custom: 3 temperature settings (medium, hot and Extra hot) to fit your needs which also includes a separate spout for hot water and Americano preparations.
  • Smart Coffee maker: Bluetooth (LED) technology enables you to create personalized single serve coffees, easy Nespresso capsule re-ordering and simplified machine care & assistance.
  • Efficient Coffee machine: Espresso single serve automatic machine heats-up in under 30 seconds with a single touch and powers off after 9 minutes.
  • Complimentary gift: each Espresso machine includes a Nespresso Original capsule welcome kit with a range of 14 capsules with unique aroma profiles.

The next few of questions I ask is, "Is it worth it? Does it meet my needs? And can I found something better?"

Justifying spending $300 on something that may not meet my needs didn't seem logical, so I bookmark the page and start looking for alternatives. I then adjusted my search criteria to:
"BEST SMART ESPRESSO MACHINE..."
in hopes that adding "best" as a keyword will not only result in one that could possibly offer the best features and meet my needs, but show some machines at an more affordable price because let's be honest, we're all trying to spend a little less when possible. After scrolling down the first page, it became clear what the best route into finding this one product, and it was to find what other people thought through articles and blogs. It was easier to get deeper insight on certain machines with brief reviews that included pros and cons, hits and misses with each individual machine.

After reviewing about 5 articles, ranking their top 10 machines on the market, none of them seem to hit home for me. It then dawned on me why I couldn't find my perfect machine. All the machines I kept finding only made coffee, but I wanted to make a latte! I needed a machine that not only made espresso, but frothed milk! I then adjust my search criteria one last time:
"BEST SMART ESPRESSO MACHINE FOAM MILK."
The first search result says, The Best Espresso Machines of 2018 | Digital Trends and I dive right into the article. As I scroll down looking for the most affordable price, at last! It speaks to me in a flaming red, shiny industrial steel, yet modern and smart, all-in-one. At a $260 price point that hits all the points I want out of a machine, I'm convinced it's the one.

Delonghi EC680R DEDICA 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine

    Image result for DEDICA MANUAL ESPRESSO MACHINE - RED EC 680
  • De'Longhi Manual Cappuccino: Enjoy authentic Italian quality cafe drinks with the richest, thickest, longest lasting foam, quickly and effortlessly. 
  • Sleek, Ultra Slim Design: Outstanding espresso experience in less than 6 inches of counterspace. 
  • Thermoblock Technology: Heats up to the ideal brewing temperature in just 40 seconds so you are never far from an authentic Italian espresso.
  • Flow Stop: Automatically delivers 1 or 2 shots; always the exact amount of espresso you desire. 
  • 3 in 1 Filter Holder: 3 in 1 filter to accommodate single shot, double shots and easy serving espresso.
  • Easy-to-use Control Panel: Includes 3 illuminated buttons.
  • Warming Tray: Always have a warm cup ready.
  • 15 Bar Pump Pressure: Achieve the most authentic flavor.
  • On/Off button with Automatic Stand-By: Saves energy consumption after a period of non-use.
  • Self-Priming System: Means the machine is always ready for use.
  • Adjustable Cappuccino System: Advanced manual frother mixes steam, air and milk, producing a rich, creamy froth for great cappuccino.
  • Descaling Alarm.
If you're a crazy person like I am, always looking for home alternatives invest on to adjust some spending habits, this could be the one for you. And if red isn't your color, there are multiple colors to choose from that may even bring the price down and have you brewing your own gourmet latte for the price of some coffee beans and milk! Check it out here on Amazon.com.

No comments: